Saturday, July 21, 2007

Borscht for Phoebe


I have been asked for my borscht recipe and I thought I'd post it so I'd also remember next time what I did last time :) I sometimes have issues with recipes. I think the problem is that I have too many for some things, so I can't decide how to make it. And I can't always be bothered following them. But you can't go wrong with borscht :) This is my very basic plain vegetarian version of borscht.

I just grab a bunch of fresh beets (I think they come in bunches of around 5-7?), scrub them, chop off the ends, peel if you want- if you don't peel them, it has more of an earthy taste? if you do peel them, it tastes umm cleaner or something? smoother?! Probably peel them if you're not sure.
Chop into rough chunks and cover with water & bring to boil & leave simmering for ages- over an hour, until they're mushy. Add an onion or two sometime at the beginning. Fresh dill or dill anything is nice too, added towards the end. Add garlic or salt or whatever else you like to cook with. I stick my food processor hand blender in the pot near the end too, just to make sure it's not lumpy :)

Serve with sour cream. If you don't like sour cream but still want it to taste a bit tangy, put some lemon juice in near the end. And voila, you've got borscht :)

9 comments:

Victoria said...

And where precisely does ye find a bunch of fresh beets in this area?

Pinkflowerbuttons said...

Where does the borschit recipee come from? Is it Russian? MM

phoeberae said...

Thanks Sez, looking forward to noshing into some of this!

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for your comment Sarah, I love it, I think thats exactly how it makes me feel too. Megsx

Anonymous said...

Hey Sez, when ya gonna post again, I miss them and you can read this comment over 100 times and this comment would still remain true, thats how many times Ive wanted to write it... Blessings lovliest flower.. MegsXO

Anonymous said...

And I especially lOVE receiving your comments on my blog.. You are Thoughtful and I love what is inside your mind. MegsXO

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.